Reports to: Director of Project Management
Team: Project Management
Education: BS in Architecture, Engineering preferred. BS in Construction Management, Business or equivalent education from an accredited college or university.
Experience: 5+ years work experience in design, project management, engineering, architecture or construction management required. Experience in managing multi-discipline commercial, government, or retail projects desired.
Professional: Project Management Institute’s PMP or PSMJ’s AECPM Certification and/or AIA or PE designation desired.
The Project Manager is a self-motivated, detail-oriented and highly organized person responsible for the overall leadership and management of projects from inception through completion – in short, to lead, direct and manage the project team. The Project Manager role touches all activities and functions of the company from accounting to marketing to production to construction administration. This position has a high degree of autonomy, responsibility and will require working on a variety of tasks and design projects.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Establishes and/or manages client relationship with customers from varying market sectors including local, state and federal government agencies, private customers, contractor partnerships, architects and/or engineers, and other clients.
- Manages project finances through budgeting, invoicing, and collection in accordance with contract requirements.
- Works with the Construction Services Department or outside consultants to develop opinions of probable construction costs.
- Must be a capable and experienced person with authority to speak for the firm in dealing with the client in all routine matters associated with the project.
- Assists the principal-in-charge with fee negotiations.
- Is aware of and helps to articulate the client’s goals and objectives.
- Plans and manages the project in all aspects of scope definition, objectives, technical feasibility, schedule, and budget in coordination with the principal-in-charge and department directors and ensures that projects are delivered on-time, within scope, and within budget. Takes appropriate actions to maintain the project schedule and budget.
- Reviews RFP documents and works with Department Directors to determine what disciplines and consultants are needed for the project, determine resourcing, and develop fees.
- Is responsible for recommending, selecting, coordinating, and scheduling outside consultants.
- Monitors the progress of the project to determine actual work accomplished versus cost-to-date versus budget and keeps the principal-in-charge periodically updated.
- Prepares project meeting agendas, leads project meetings, prepares meeting minutes, and tracks actions items.
- Manages multi-discipline quality control sessions at each design phase and verifies that discipline quality control procedures have been performed.
- Coordinates with all approval agencies and authorities to ensure that any specific requirements are addressed
- Organizes and establishes project files and maintains comprehensive project documentation.
- Coordinates construction administration activities with the Construction Services Department or conducts construction administration activities including pay application reviews.
- Develop project objectives by reviewing project proposals and plans; conferring with management. We will also look to this person to prepare proposals and work with marketing to prepare RFP submittals.
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks and report and escalate issues to management.
- Is responsible for final project closeout.
- Possess excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, graphical, and in writing) and the ability to communicate your ideas in a way that people understand.
- Experience with MS Office, OneNote, Smartsheet, and Deltek Vision.
- Experience with AutoCAD and Revit is required to interact with our production team.
- Knowledge of AIA standard contracts and forms.
- Familiar with government and/or AIA construction project methodology, design standards, and specifications.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical documents.
- Ability to develop proposals, scope, fees, and schedule.
- Are good with people; a strong listener, respectful in your interactions with others, possess a positive outlook on life, have a coaching mentality, and a willingness to learn.
- Possess managerial skills to be proficient in managing internal staff and multiple projects and clients.
- Ability to coordinate many moving parts to deliver a solid, final product.
- Ability to delegate, manage, and inspire others; confidence, honesty, commitment, and ability to see big picture and managing all aspects of projects from start to finish.
- Ability to accommodate overnight travel by car and by air.
- Ability to prioritize critical activities, plan ahead, and determine what must be done next.
- Ability to win new work from current clients and participate with Marketing in winning work from new clients.
- Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Experience in architectural and engineering design, coordination, documentation and construction
- Knowledge and understanding of building and zoning codes, accessibility standards, and code review and permitting processes.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Paid medical + dental coverage
- 401K match
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible working schedule
We’re committed to our community and our team culture encourages personal development. We are an EEO employer.