Reports to: Director of Mechanical Engineering
Team: Mechanical Engineering
Education: Bachelor of Science in Engineering or experience equivalent
Experience: 5+ years in refrigeration design
Professional: PE preferred but not required, EI recommended
The Refrigeration Designer position will design refrigeration systems for new and remodeled retail stores. This work will include close work with the lead refrigeration engineer, coordination with a multi-discipline team, document production, estimating hours and establishing fees. Local and national travel for the purposes of documenting existing conditions and performing refrigeration functional performance tests may be an applicable part of the job.
- Review customer design guidelines, drawings, refrigeration case datasheets, customer meeting notes, applicable local codes and industry standards
- Prepare code-compliant refrigeration construction documents including pipe sizing, refrigerant circuit grouping, equipment selection, specifications and equipment layouts.
- Coordinate with case suppliers with necessary interfaces for piping and equipment connections
- Coordinate refrigeration design with facility energy management systems.
- Review, report on and implement new refrigeration and HVAC system technologies with an optimal equipment selection plan considering installed costs, energy conservation, environmental, OM&R costs.
- Coordinate and resolve equipment installation issues with the project manager, vendors and contractors.
- Identify proper sequence of work and temporary connections required to coordinate the refrigeration installation with the construction schedule.
- Customize line sizing, compressor size, compressor rack configuration, condenser capacity, expansion valves sizing/selection, evaporator layout and refrigerant and condensate pipe routing.
- Perform site visits & surveys for assessment and information gathering to develop a refrigeration system scope-of-work.
- Perform formal walk-throughs with contractor or Owner as various project milestones for installation verification or scope-of-work definition.
- Troubleshoot refrigeration systems with accompanying engineering report
- Establish and maintain client relationships with multiple client representatives
- Mentor and assist in team development and training
- Interface with other in-house project disciplines to ensure cohesive and coordinated design documentation and solutions.
- Understand the clients building program and assists in investigating, evaluating, and recommending design solutions that best meet the client’s needs.
- Work closely with Quality Control Managers.
- Competency in the use of AutoCAD (required) and Revit (preferred)
- Customer and relationship-building focused
- Supervisory and leadership skills
- Good communication skills
- Capable of writing formal engineering reports and studies
- Ability to work as a part of a multi-discipline team
- Strong attention to detail
- Good understanding of overall project delivery process in a consulting context
- Good problem-solving skills
- Able to meet deadlines and work within set time schedules
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Paid medical + dental coverage
- 401K match
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible working schedule
We’re committed to our community and our team culture encourages personal development. We are an EEO employer.